Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation (NALSC) delivers and coordinates a range of legal services to members of the Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN). NALSC is owned by the First Nations of Nishnawbe Aski Nation. The mandate of the Corporation includes legal, paralegal, public legal education and law-reform services.
Note: You must be a member from a First Nation in the legal services’ territory in order to access their legal services.
Current legal services include:
- Legal aid applications;
- Summary advice and short legal services;
- Quasi-paralegal services;
- Victim Witness liaison services;
- Law reform;
- Public legal education;
- Alternative justice processes under criminal and family matters (Talking Together and Restorative Justice);
- Administrative assistance;
- Video jail applications.
Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation is mainly funded through Legal Aid Ontario (LAO). Legal Aid certificates are issued under LAO to anyone across the NAN territory who is eligible and requires a lawyer.
Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation accepts collect calls.