Family violence when a woman is sponsored by a spouse or partner

Many women are sponsored by a spouse or partner for permanent resident status. If they experience family violence, they may want to know whether they will be forced to leave Canada if they separate from their spouse or partner. This resource is for front-line workers and explains when separation may place a woman’s status in Canada at risk. It talks about when and how to refer a woman for legal help and what kind of evidence may be useful for a woman who wants to stay in Canada but does not yet have permanent resident status or whose status is "conditional".