Starting January 2017, important changes are being made to the way Ontario's social assistance programs treat child support payments, which will affect the advice you give to family law clients. This fact sheet answers these questions:
- What changes are being made to the way that child support is treated in Ontario for recipients of Ontario Works (OW) and the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)?
- When will the changes take effect?
- Will retroactive child support also be exempt?
- Will parents still have to pursue child support in order to receive social assistance?
- How does this change affect the calculation of child support?
- How does this change affect spousal support?