Property standards inspections

Sometimes a government inspector's report can help get your landlord to do repairs, or can be used as evidence at a Landlord and Tenant Board hearing.

To have your place inspected, you can phone your local property standards or by-law department, or your city hall, municipal office, or local councillor. You can find these numbers in the government section of your phone book.

You can contact the province's Investigation and Enforcement Unit (IEU) at 1-888-772-9277 or visit their web site if:

  • there are no property standards by-laws where you live, or
  • the standards apply only to the outside of your building and you want the inside to be inspected.